In Spring 2017 each student selected a quote by an important typographer or designer. Each quote was handset and printed in the Stanza 153 Press shop at San Francisco State University. Special thanks to Prof. Mario Laplante for making the types in the printmaking room of the Art Department available to our design students. The quotes were printed on either Rives BFK or Stonehenge paper, approximately 12 x 18. Go to high res images of the broadsides.
01. Choice of Typeface, by Jost Hochuli & Robin Kinross
Broadside by Biagio Abdelmannan.
02. A Fool Cannot Be an Artist, by Eric Gill
Broadside by Kristina Brandt.
03. Technical Erudition, by Edmund Bishop
Broadside by Sam Burks.
04. Typographic Design Process, by Thomas James Cobden
Broadside by Domenic Decarlo.
05. Word Space, by Adrian Frutiger
Broadside by Marvin Esquivel.
06. The new typography, by Jan Tschichold
Broadside by Tony Li.
07. Fifty Penguin years (book review)
Broadside by Jessica Lim.
08. I Am Type, By Frederic W. Goudy
Broadside by Korina Moreno.
09. The practice of typography, by Theodore Low De vinne
Broadside by A.J. Plummer.
10. Typography exists to honor content, by Robert Bringhurst
Broadside by Paige Schouten.
11. Compromise, by Eric Gill
Broadside by Justin Sisk.
12. New Techniques, New Craftsmanship, by Adrian Frutiger
Broadside by Hugo Suarez.
13. The Skeleton of a Letter, by Adrian Frutiger
Broadside by Wayne Yuan.
14. Detail in Typography, by Jost Hochuli
Broadside by Spencer Zak.